Thursday, February 12, 2009

Moo Brew Hefewiezen Review

Anyone who knows me knows that I like beer. One of my favorite styles is hefeweizen. Recently on a trip to Tasmania I visited the Moorilla Estate which is home to my favorite Australian beer -Moo Brew.

Moo Brew Hefewiezen is brewed at the Moorilla Estate near Hobart in Tasmania, Australia. Moorilla is well-known by microwbrew drinkers in Australia for its Moo Brew range of beers.

The Moo Brew Hefewiezen is a German style wheat beer with a delightful cloudiness. It is also preservative free. You can drink it straight from the unique shaped bottle with original artist-commissioned artwork or pour into a glass in order to experience all the aroma and goodness the beer has to offer. The body is medium in the mouth and the head is smooth and heavy, but not overly creamy. Aromas are caramel, banana and lemon. The color of the brew is a bright cloudy gold.

I have only good things to say about Moo Brew Hefewiezen except for the price. In Australia beer is pricey -one bottle of Moo Brew costs $5.00AU. The cost isn't the fault of the brewery, it is just the way alcohol is taxed. Even a 6-pack of Corona will set you back $20.00AU!

Other mentionables:

There are other Moo Brews, such as stout, dark ale, pale ale and pilsner. Personally, I enjoy the stout and pilsner in addition to the hefewiezen. If I remember correctly, the pilsner is only available in Tasmania since it does not travel well in bottles.

Moorilla also makes wine too and the Pinot Noir from the Muse series is very good with a nice finish. Unfortunately I cannot remember the year of the one I had!

The Moorilla Estate also boasts a fine-dining restaurant called "The Source", but it was closed for renovations when I visited.

If you are ever fortunate enough to visit Moorilla, the staff is so nice, helpful and knowledgeable.

I originally published this review on the website Viewpoints. You can read it in the original form here.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment