Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lifestyle Changes

Some old habits that I have changed:

I never exercised after college. Now, 13 years later and 60 pounds heavier I find myself walking 1-5 miles per day and doing cardio and weights at our townhouse complex gym 2-5 days a week. Granted while I am living overseas I do not have a car so all the walking is out of necessity. I will need to find a way to stick with it or substitute it once I move back to the US. There are no sidewalks where I live and lots of hills and curves make walkabouts quite risky.

I used to smoke A LOT but changed that with my first pregnancy, fell off the wagon when he was done nursing and then FINALLY kicked the habit when I got pregnant again. If you smoke and need help quitting I highly recommend asking your doctor for help. Mine gave me Welbutrin and I never looked back.

I couldn't consider a weekend breakfast edible unless it included bacon and at least two eggs. I still eat eggs but only one normally and bacon only crosses my breakfast path about once a month. I have decided that smoked salmon is a better breakfast meat.

I have a deep love affair with yogurt -it used to be the creamier the better. Over the last two years and after sampling every new full-fat Australian yogurt I encountered I have finally changed my ways. I now usually buy plain Greek non-fat yogurt. I miss some of the creaminess, but with the help of lots of fresh fruit I get all the sweetness and texture I need. I have gone from eating yogurt that was 120-160 calories per 100 grams to ones that are about 50-70 calories per 100 gram serving. Watermelon is my favorite mix-in. It is an indescribable taste and texture combo.

I was a total coffee addict. My normal day consisted of no less than 8-10 cups of coffee with half & half. Now I only buy high quality coffee and make it in a French press. This makes the coffee so good and rich on its own that I only need a bit of 1% milk and I am happy. I now drink only 1-2 coffees a day and sometimes I have none. My new beverages of choice are soda water, herbal tea and plain water. Of course I still like wine and beer but we'll save that for another day!

I have lots of other changes that I will list another time. Right now I think I want a coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment